- Generosity — helping others, protecting the environment and making our communities more resilient — is one of the values that guides our work. We focus our generosity to help our communities in three areas where we can have the biggest impact:
- Ensuring communities are climate resilient
- Creating opportunities for children and families living in poverty
- Supporting our employees to help others
For more details on how we’re building resilient communities, please read our Social Impact Report.
Applying for funding
Ensuring communities are climate resilient
Municipal Climate Resiliency Grant program
We know municipalities play a critical role in protecting communities from the impacts of climate change. And we want to help.
Intact Public Entities and the Intact Foundation have launched the Municipal Climate Resiliency Grant to help municipalities adapt to climate change and keep people safe. We’re investing $1 million in cities and towns across Canada that are developing practical and effective solutions to protect communities from floods or wildfires.
Focus areas: We will invest in projects that can increase community resiliency to flood and wildfire risks. We will prioritize the following types of projects:
- Shovel-ready: greening and natural infrastructure solutions such as wetland restoration to reduce flood risk or vegetation management techniques to create a community fire guard.
- Climate mitigation tools: these could include incentives for homeowners to install sump pumps or fire-retardant roofing.
- Research readiness and feasibility assessments: these could include updating flood and/or wildfire-risk mapping or undertaking a flood or wildfire hazard assessment.
- Awareness and education: these could include distributing home flood and/or wildfire protection materials or creating an online portal for residents to obtain flood-risk information.
- Grant criteria: Applications are open to any registered Canadian municipality. We welcome NGOs to apply in partnership with one or more municipalities — with letters of support. We are funding initiatives, up to $100,000, that are slated to start by October 2022 and will be completed within one year. For more details about the grant program and application criteria, download these guidelines.
Applying for a grant: The Municipal Climate Resiliency Grant application window is open from October 4th, 2021, to January 31st, 2022. To apply, click here. We have prepared the following resources to help you with your application:
- Municipal Climate Resiliency Grant and How to Apply Webinar
- Subventions aux municipalités pour la résilience climatique et comment faire une demande webinaire
- FAQ Document
- FAQ du Programme
- Application Form (pdf)
- Application Form (docx)
- Formulaire de Demande (pdf)
- Formulaire de Demande (docx)
- Granting Guidelines
- Lignes Directrices Pour L’octroi de Subventions
If you have additional questions, please contact the [email protected].
- October 4th at 10 a.m. ET: Application window opens. Apply now.
- January 31st, 2022, at 11:59 p.m. ET: Application window closes.
- February 1st, 2022 – March 31st, 2022: Application evaluation and approvals.
- April 1st, 2022 – May 31st, 2022: Successful projects receive funding.